[Web4lib] Librarians Create Bestseller

wroldfie at library.uwaterloo.ca wroldfie at library.uwaterloo.ca
Sun Apr 29 20:49:42 EDT 2007

My name is William Oldfield and I have been a librarian at the University of
Waterloo Library for over 28 years and writing books longer. One of them has
finally been published and I’ve decided to make it part of an experiment.

As you are no doubt aware, Amazon.com has a bestseller list that they
advertise as updated hourly. It should theoretically be possible to concentrate
a few purchases on a single day within a spread of hours to push a title
onto and move it up the list. I have heard that this has been done but I have
been unable to find any concrete information about it.

If you are interested in participating in the experiment, order a copy of the
book, The greatest hero: the genius behind the myth by Blake Whitman (my nom
de plume) on Friday May 4th, 2007 between the hours of noon and 4:30 pm
EDT from Amazon.com (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/1425994814) Please also
sent me an email (wroldfie at library.uwaterloo.ca) at the same time with the
subject line – ‘Amazon – hour:minute (i.e. 1:34 pm) so I can collate the order
and time with the book’s position on the list. I intend to write an article
about the experiment.

Putting the experiment aside, I believe you will find the book very interesting.
Here is an ad blurb:

	Meet the genius behind the myth. From the study of creativity
	and mythology comes a startling new perspective on the life of
	Jesus of Nazareth. The book adopts Joseph Schonfield’s thesis
	that Jesus stage-managed his own crucifixion and resurrection,
	accepts the suggestion of a number of scholars that there was
	a romantic relationship between Jesus and Mary and proposes
	that Lazarus’ resurrection was a publicity stunt to raise
	interest in a flagging mission. But most startling of all is
	the book’s new theology. Jesus’ goal was not to save the
	world but to liberate our minds from superstition. His message
	was simple -- seek first the Kingdom of Heaven and all else
	will follow, for within the Kingdom of Heaven lies all the
	human heart could ever desire. Within the realm of the mind
	through the creative process lies escape from despair.
	This is his 'good news'.

The book is based upon a theory that equates the hero myth of Joseph Campbell
with the creative act or the experience of inspiration. You can find out more
about the book and the theory at http://www.lib.uwaterloo.ca/~wroldfie/whitman/.

Again, if you decide to participate in the experiment, order a copy of the book
from Amazon.com on Friday May 4th between the hours of noon and 4:30 EDT and
send me an email noting the time. You can also monitor the experiment yourself
by checking the Amazon.com Bestseller list
(http://www.amazon.com/gp/bestsellers/books/) periodically during the day.

If the experiment is successful, I have a title for my article –
‘Librarians Create Bestseller’.

Bill

William Oldfield
Networked Information Research Associate
University of Waterloo Library
Office: 519-888-4567
Email: wroldfie at library.uwaterloo.ca