[Web4lib] Streaming video buffering?

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Wed Apr 25 09:56:34 EDT 2007

There is an option with Flash to serve clips with "progressive download".
That is, you can process a large Flash file to serve incrementally small
parts at a time.  Each small section is downloaded to the client one at a
time.  I am not fully versed to how this is done but know our campus
Multimedia Designer has set this up for some of these for our Distance
Learning pages.  I feel certain there are programs that may convert AVI or
WMV to Flash to minimize your work.

Thomas

On Tuesday 24 April 2007 12:25, Edward Corrado wrote:
> This may be a long shot, but...
>
> We are trying to stream the Annenberg CPB streaming video series "Teaching
> Foreign Languages K-12" via the learning.org video on demand service into
> our library. The videos are in Windows Media player format. It will play
> for a while and then stop. I think the problem is mostly due to our
> inconsistent (and relatively slow) network connections during peak usage
> time. I was thinking if an alternative to Windows Media player that
> allowed increased buffering options (Windows media player only seems to
> allow buffering up to 60 seconds of content), maybe we could get it to
> work better. Does anyone have any other options or tricks they can share
> (besides the obvious, which is to get increased bandwidth)?
>
> FWIW: The actual videos we are trying to view are at:
> http://tinyurl.com/2lr6yj

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III			P O Box 32026
University Library				Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

If it's not as simple as possible to try it, then the barrier to entry is too
high.

Library Systems Help Desk: http://www.library.appstate.edu/help/