[Web4lib] Content Management Systems

Cary Gordon listuser at chillco.com
Mon Apr 23 12:49:44 EDT 2007

IMHO, it would be best to start using a CMS at the beginning. Once you are
in a CMS environment, there is no need for Dreamweaver.

To be fair, I am in the business of deploying, supporting and hosting Drupal
for libraries. That said, if you have no timetable or agenda, you can get
started with Drupal (or Wordpress or whatever application you like) and take
your time learning it. I think that, for most librarians, this is a better
investment of time than learning HTML.

On the other hand, if you want to be a systems librarian, you will probably
want to learn HTML, JavaScript, XML, CSS and at least one
programming/scripting language (PHP, ColdFusion, Java, Python, ASP). In
addition, you will want to learn T-SQL (unless you are in an Oracle
environment), and system administration for Linux, Windows or both.

Bon voyage,

Cary Gordon
The Cherry Hill Company
http://www.chillco.com