[Web4lib] Web Authoring Software / XML

Mark Dehmlow mdehmlow at nd.edu
Mon Apr 23 12:31:20 EDT 2007

Karen,

Robin's comments were right on.  To add to what she wrote, I'm not sure
if the average librarian will be using XML directly, in the same way
that few librarians have actually coded a z39.50 interface, but most are
familiar with the protocol.  I would say that understanding and working
with XML is a core skill for anyone who is interested in digital
projects and web management.  It is a powerful data transport and
document encoding mechanism and it is becoming increasingly more
ubiquitous.  We already work with quite a few APIs (Application Program
Interfaces) that are XML based, indexing data providers are trending
away from z39.50 gateways and moving towards XML gateways, and not to
mention that the business world has been leveraging XML for a long time now.

XML is extremely flexible and it is transferable over HTTP which makes
it an ideal tool for the web environment.  Also, XML competency is
appearing on more and more web manager positions within libraries, and
it is an absolute skill for working with digital repositories and
digitization projects.

Regards,

Mark Dehmlow
Electronic Services Librarian

      Electronic Resources and Serials
		 Access Department

115A Hesburgh Library      |  mdehmlow at nd.edu
University of Notre Dame   |  voice: (574) 631-3092
Notre Dame, IN 46556       |  fax:   (574) 631-6772