[Web4lib] Public Computers and iTunes

NORMA JEAN HEWLETT hewlett at usfca.edu
Sat Apr 21 19:20:32 EDT 2007

> You [can] use your iPod with any number of computers if you use the
> "manual" mode.

I have an iPod Nano (6 gigs) that I use with my desktop and laptop
computers, and sometimes with the other computers in my library. In my
opinion, using your iPod with more than one computer is a fairly
complicated process.

So far as I know, you must first designate a computer as "authorised"
in order to use iTunes on it with your iPod. You are limited to having
no more than 4 computers "authorised" at any time, even in manual
mode.

I can transfer data from my iPod to the iTunes library on any
computer,
but only items that I've purchased from iTunes. Anything else (Audible
books I purchased from audible.com, CDs that I loaded myself) doesn't
transfer.

iTunes has a fairly definite learning curve, especially if you're
using it with more than one computer. What I didn't realize at first
is that iTunes does not maintain an online library for you, the way
Audible does when you purchase their recorded books. When you purchase
music online from the iTunes Store, you are actually purchasing the
right to download the music one time into the iTunes library on that
computer's hard drive.  From there, you are allowed to download it to
your iPod (or iPods) and burn it to CD. So far as I
know, there's no limit on how many times you can sych your iPod to
your computer's iTunes library, upload a commercial CD into your
library, burn music from your iTunes library to a CD, upload it from
that CD to another computer. The limits are on uploading what's on
your iPod to any other device or computer and on using other devices
with your iTunes library. There are ways to work around those limits,
but it takes a fair amount (sometimes a lot) of familiarity with
iTunes.

If you connect your iPod to a strange computer, iTunes will normally
put up a dialog box asking if you want to erase all the current
contents and sync them to that computer's iTunes library. If you
aren't paying attention and click Okay, it will do exactly that. That
isn't a total tragedy, because you can always go home, connect your
iPod to your home computer, and then iTunes will erase it and sync it
to your iTunes library again.

If you click Cancel, it will not erase and sync, but it will leave
your iPod connected until you eject it or close iTunes. I do this
sometimes to charge my iPod's battery, and that seems like a
legitimate reason for doing it at a library computer. I think you can
still do this even if iTunes isn't on the computer, as long as you
have the right usb connector cable for your iPod.

Another valid reason would be to use the iPod as a usb storage device,
but you need to know what you are doing in order to do this. It's
possible to buy music from the iTunes Store and add it to all your
iTunes libraries, but again you need to know a bit about how
iTunes works to do this.

When I got a new laptop, I had one of the guys on our local Apple
store's genuis desk show me how to use  my iPod as a flash drive
to back up my old laptop's iTunes libray. He was able to back up
everything, including the Audible audiobooks and songs from my CDs,
and transfer it to the new laptop. It wasn't a
simple process, nor a quick one. (That was at least partly because I'd
tried myself and fouled things up pretty badly before coming to him.)

Having said all that, I should also point out that I'm still an iPod
novice and maybe there's an easier way that I don't know. My
university includes iTunes as part of the standard software image on
all the campus public-use computers, including those in our libraries.
Our help desk staff use it regularly, and they are trained to answer
basic questions about its use. My boss has produced two podcasts about
using specific library resources that are available free from iTunes.

Jean Hewlett
Regional Librarian, University of San Francisco, North Bay Campus