[Web4lib] Web Authoring Software / XML/ CMS

robin na georgiawebgurl at yahoo.com
Sat Apr 21 16:28:01 EDT 2007

Hi Karen,
I'm answering both of your questions in one email as they seem related to me.

To CMS or not? I think it depends on several factors: access authority to the website server and whether the server meets the minimum requirements of a particular CMS (very important), as well as the purpose of the website, the size of the website, and a consideration for the content and number of contributors/authors to a website.

The advantage to using any CMS is that it is relatively easy to generate content for the general user, there are often built in extensions/modules to provide dynamic content, and these usually work well for larger sites (but can be used by small sites, too.) Installation, configuration and design can be sticky points, depending on the installer's experience, access to site server, etc.

For a small mostly static site with limited access to a server or run by a small number of web editors, writing or generating code + CSS is probably the easiest.
Dreamweaver  is certainly popular in terms of generating webpages and CSS.  Templates can be created to minimize maintenance work.

Dreamweaver can also work with php, asp, etc. to incorporate in dynamic content (such as RSS feeds, etc.). Dreamweaver has the option of a graphical, code, or a combination of both interface, which is nice for those who are just learning code.  I know quite a few happy Dreamweaver users. I haven't used the latest version of Dreamweaver, but I have found previous versions a little clunky when editing an existing page that was not created by Dreamweaver, especially when importing CSS (I confess, I don't use Dreamweaver on a regular basis).

As for free (or opensource) webpage generators, I would check out Nvu (which is based on Mozilla Composer code base). It looks very interesting. I used Netscape Composer eons ago. It was easy to use, but I'm not sure how the code quality and coding capability have held up over time.

 http://www.nvu.com/index.php

Amaya is also an opensource web editor which can generate xml. Another project which looks interesting.
http://www.w3.org/Amaya/

In short, web design is about developing and implementing a plan using appropriate tools (software, databases, coding/scripting, etc.) and resources to create a web site meeting the content, design, and user needs for a particular person or group while providing the greatest ease of maintenance.

There are many different kinds of tools out there  to create code for websites; it's just determining the best fit (and hopefully adherence to code standards, too!).  I do think that all web designers should have a fundamental knowledge of basic html and CSS, so that they can at least control the layout and design of their websites (i.e., keep them from looking so 'out of the box' and perhaps, correct  problems, if/when they arise).

Regarding your question about xml:  XML is used for a lot of things including crosswalking metadata into various databases. RSS is based on XML. Ajax uses XML for many purposes (extending database capabilities to facilitate better user experiences, for one).  I know  librarians who use regularly use xml; I know others who have never heard of xml.  ;-)

In my opinion (and of course, everything in this response is just that, my opinion), xml will become more important in the future to web designers, information professionals, database and systems librarians,  well as librarians working with digital content using contentdm, dspace, etc.

Although I am sure there will be another "new thing' in the future, XML is an important part of alot of web based technologies at the moment.

Anyhow, just my opinion.
robin

KWolf114 at aol.com wrote: Hello everyone,

Could someone please tell me the name(s) of the best web  authoring software
for an individual who is just beginning to develop  webpages?

On another note, do you believe that the average librarian will be using  XML
on a fairly constant basis?  If so, how? Whatever your answer is,  please
tell me why this is so.  I want to make sure that my skills are  up-to-date.

Thank you.

Karen