[Web4lib] FW: Cave Day Announcement

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Sun Apr 15 14:09:40 EDT 2007

Aaron,

A number of years ago I gave a talk at SLA  titled "The Web in the Blink of
an Eye."  The premise was to ask would the Web be fast enough so that
clicking on the next page would result in the page being painted as fast as
your eye blinks.

Foolishly, I said at one point during the talk that I didn't actually know
how fast an eye blinks.  Very foolishly I said this in front of a crowd of a
few hundred librarians.  Never confess your ignorance to hundreds of
librarians.  :-)  When I got home, I had an inbox full of citations to
scholarly research as to the average duration of an eyeblink.

My talk back then cited Amdahl's Law, which says that if you make part of a
computer infinitely fast, it doesn't matter if other parts remain slower.
That law still applies today, and it's still true.

Tomorrow when I give a talk on Detroit's main NPR station, WDET, I will use
a dedicated ISDN line.  ISDN offers pathetic speeds -- 64 K or more
depending on how you count.  But ISDN guarantees performance at the rated
speed.

This is not a minor point.

Circa 1997 when I arranged a broadcast of a Doobie Brothers concert from a
field on Michigan State's campus, we set up an ISDN line through a manhole
cover on Munn Field into then-Ameritech (cum SBC cum AT&T) .  (We worked
with Audionet.com, later sold to Yahoo, making its CEO, Mark Cuban, a
billionaire.)

Even today, if I was doing a live broadcast from Michigan State I'd choose a
dedicated line with guaranteed quality of service.  In essence, that's what
WDET has asked for tomorrow.  We have a gigabit or better pipe on Michigan
Lambda Rail yet we choose a 64K or 128K pipe because it has the elusive QoS
that the Internet community has promised for a decade and never delivered.

Interstate highways theoretically offer Autobahn speeds, but we don't drive
150 miles per hour on real roads.  France just demonstrated how a train can
go 350 mph but that was a demonstration.  When you cite the burst rate of a
medium you mislead people.  A very real example is a university classroom
that supports all Wi-Fi standards.  Fill it with 50 MBA students who expect
802.11g (theoretically 54 megabits/sec) but it falls back to 802.11b speed
(11 meg/sec) if a single person has a legacy Wi-Fi card.

In short: you can't measure your broadband performance by the rate of your
fastest link,

This is an important, even vital, point.  Promising patrons a 1M or 2M or 5M
of 1G link, without considering the entire fabric of the network, is a false
promise.

/rich

PS -- See some of you at Computers in Libraries in Arlington, where no doubt
folks will tell me about other times I've blinked...