[Web4lib] Fortres software?

Dale E. Goodell goodeld at wou.edu
Fri Apr 6 11:46:34 EDT 2007

In my previous job in our campus Library, I used Fortres 101 then migrated to Deep Freeze and WinSelect.  I'm in a different job now and not involved in day-to-day PC maintenance, but I still like to follow these discussions.

Several years ago I used Fortres 101, but this is the first mention of that product I've seen in several years.  I really had the best luck with the combination of WinSelect and Deep Freeze.  These products were developed by the same company in Canada, but I believe they are now under different ownership.  These two packages, in combination with Ghost, allowed for very efficient software management.

We disabled the "Logout" feature within Windows, in favor of "Restart".  Thus, each time students logged out, the machine rebooted, allowing Deep Freeze to do its job.  I did very little with Windows policies and we never did anything with time limitations/restrictions.

Just my $0.02 worth; good luck!

Dale E. Goodell
Analyst Programmer
University Computing Services