[Web4lib] Update: Problem with CSS?

Jonathan Gorman jtgorman at uiuc.edu
Wed Apr 4 09:23:31 EDT 2007

> I saw that too and wondered if that was the issue, but the
> file I sent the webmaster did not have those.  Does the
> Joomla interface do that kind of thing?  I use Crimson
> Editor and Dreamweaver, then cut/pasted it into
> notepad to email to the webmaster.

The newlines could have gotten introduced at several points.  First, copying and pasting can alter whitespace and newlines when pasting into certain programs.

Email also has a tendency to alter line endings and whitespace.  You should be somewhat safe if you make sure to use a text only email when sending and the webmaster reads the original text.  But there's no guarantee of that.

I'm not sure what I'd do in this situation.  The webmaster should have the sense to make sure the line endings don't get managed from their end.  The best thing would be to sftp it somewhere or put it on a folder in a network drive that both you and the webmaster can access.  But it sounds like that's not an option.

You can try adding it as an attachment to the email instead of pasting into the email.  It may be that will make sure that it doesn't get scrambled.  Then I would hope Joomla lets you upload css files and not have to enter them in through a browser editing panel or something like that.

All else fails, I guess the webmaster just needs to remember to do a quick spot check for line-ending issues.

Jon Gorman