[Web4lib] Laptop lending, public libraries' survey: results..

drweb at san.rr.com drweb at san.rr.com
Tue Apr 3 14:51:48 EDT 2007

On February 14, I posted a request to the Web4Lib and Publib members for help in a survey of their libraries about lending laptops. Below after my signature are our results, which we indicated we would share with you all. *These results are being cross-posted, so apologies if you see this more than once.*

Please feel free to contact me with any questions.

Best regards,
Michael

P. Michael McCulley, Librarian II / Information & Technology
San Diego Public Library, 820 E Street, CA 92101-4806
Phone: 619-238-6678 / FAX: 619-238-6639
E-mail: mmcculley at sandiego.gov

Summary, San Diego Public Library, Laptop Lending Survey, 2007

For further information, contact:
Michael McCulley, SDPL / mmcculley at sandiego.gov
619-238-6678

*Overview Summary of Results*
We determined that laptop lending programs are not yet common, at least in the types of libraries represented in the study.  Even if the libraries who indicate they plan to implement lending programs in the future actually do so, less than 50% of the libraries surveyed have or will have such programs.  Among those libraries reporting they do have a lending program, the enthusiasm for the program is highly positive, and the demand considerable.

Of the 52 libraries responding to the survey, 14 libraries reported having a laptop lending program in effect at the present time.  Nine libraries indicated plans to implement a program in the future.

It also does not appear that libraries operating lending programs are facing significant losses of machines, nor do those libraries report anything like extraordinary repair or breakage problems.

Driver's licenses appear to be the primary form of collateral required by libraries from patrons wishing to borrow a laptop, with library cards a secondary source.

*Overview of Survey*
A new laptop computer lending program offered by the San Diego Public Library (SDPL) raised some questions about what other libraries are doing in the area. A brief survey was conducted. Ten questions or issues were formulated for the survey:

1. Does your library system have a program of lending laptops to patrons?
2. Does your laptop checkout program operate in your Central or Main Library, branches, or both?
3. Do you offer wireless access in your library facilities?
4. What type of laptops (brands) do you use?  Please list any security devices you use/attach to these laptops to enhance security.
5. How long may patrons check out your laptops?
6. During checkout, can your laptops be taken outside the library?
7. What form of ID, if any, must the patron leave as "collateral" for the laptop borrowing?
8. Do you have a written policy for what happens if the laptop is damaged or lost?
9. Please describe your experience with a) damage to your laptops; and b) loss/theft of laptops.
10. Please describe your experience regarding demand for borrowing laptops:  small, medium, or high demand.

We gathered survey data via several sources:

* Peer libraries:  A survey was administered to a "peer" group of libraries.  Eleven (11) of the 13 libraries responded (Response rate:  85%)
* SERRA Cooperative Libraries:  The survey was also sent to 13 libraries comprising the SERRA Cooperative Library System.  Eight (8) of those libraries responded (Response rate:  62%).
* Mailing list libraries:  An online version of the survey was posted on SurveyMonkey, with notices placed on 3 library mailing lists (publib; web4lib; and Urban Library Council's collection development mailing list).  Thirty-three (33) libraries responded to this survey.
* Related surveys:  In addition to the survey conducted by SDPL, several other sources of information about laptop lending programs were discovered.  A thread on laptop security was started on publib and web4lib.  These posts to this thread ran from February 7-9, 2007. In addition, a recent study was undertaken by the Monterey Public Library, and results were posted recently on the CALIX mailing list.
* Brief literature review:  A brief review of the literature on the topic was conducted.

*Survey Summary Results*

Q1: Does your library system have a program of lending laptops to patrons?  Do you plan to offer such a program in the future?

Eleven of 13 libraries in the peer libraries group responded to the survey.  Of those responding, four libraries (including SDPL) indicated they had a program of lending laptops.  Three of the responding libraries indicated they had no plans to implement a program in the future; one library indicated it did not know about plans for the future, and one library indicated it would "maybe" implement a program.

Of the 33 libraries responding to the mailing list survey, 10 (31%) indicated they had a program, while 7 libraries indicated they planned to implement a program in the future.

Of the 8 SERRA libraries responding, none indicated it had a lending program.  Only 1 library suggested it might implement a program in the future.

In sum: of the 52 libraries responding to the survey, 14 libraries reported having a laptop lending program in effect at the present time.  Nine libraries indicated plans to implement a program in the future.

Q2: Does your laptop checkout program operate in your Central or Main Library, branches, or both?

Of those peer libraries responding, three libraries indicated they implemented their lending program only through their Central Library, with one system indicating they had programs in both central and branch libraries.

Of those mailing list libraries responding, 9 indicated their program operated only from their central library, 2 from branch libraries only, and 4 indicated they had lending programs in both central and branch libraries.

Q3: Do you offer wireless access in your library facilities?

When asked if they offered wireless access in their library facilities, all but two libraries indicated they do offer wireless access.  Ninety percent (30 libraries) of the mailing list libraries indicated they offer wireless access.  Four of the SERRA libraries provide wireless access to their patrons.

Q4: What type of laptops (brands) do you use?

Only 1 peer library indicated it uses Apple iBooks; other peer libraries with lending programs use PC machines, primarily HP, Dell, Compaq, and Gateway.  Similarly, only one library in the mailing list group of libraries reported using Apple machines; again, the PCs being used are the same as in the peer libraries.  None of the SERRA libraries reported using Apple products.

Q5: Please list any security devices you use/attach to these laptops to enhance security.

None of the peer libraries report using security devices on their lending laptops.

In the mailing list libraries, one uses 3M tattletape, one engraves an ID number on its machines, and one uses a software program called Computrace.  No security devices were reported by SERRA libraries.

Q6: How long may patrons check out your laptops?

Three of the peer libraries reported patrons may check out laptops for 1-2 hours, while one library reported its patrons could check out a laptop for 4-6 hours, and could renew for up to 4 additional hours.  Among mailing list libraries, 10 libraries offer a 1-2 hour checkout period, and 1 library permits a 4-6 hour checkout.  SERRA libraries did not respond to this item.

Q7: During checkout, can your laptops be taken outside the library?

Only 1 library, among all those surveyed, permits patrons to take laptops outside the library facility.

Q8: What form of ID, if any, must the patron leave as "collateral" for the laptop borrowing?

Of those libraries responding to this item, 10 libraries reported they required the patron to leave his or her library card.  Seventeen libraries require patrons to leave a driver's license, while 7 libraries indicated they do not require a patron to leave any ID.

Q9: Do you have a written policy for what happens if the laptop is damaged or lost?

Of all libraries responding to this item, 13 libraries report they have a written policy, while 4 libraries indicated they do not have a written policy.

Q10: Please describe your experience with a) damage to your laptops; and b) loss/theft of laptops.

Below are representative quotes from the responses to this question:

* Some damaged, none lost.
* We have been lending laptops out for in-library use for 7 years and have not had problems with damage, loss, or theft, with the exception of power supplies constantly breaking.
* AC adapters may bread, some screens break, and hard drive failures.  No losses.
* None at this time.
* We have never (at our branch) had to charge a patron with damage or loss of a laptop.
* Screens scratched, keyboards damaged, joysticks snapped off, DVD drives broken, laptops immersed in sink.
* We have lost 4 laptops, 2 at branches and 2 at Central. All were checked out so we were able to file police reports. None has been returned. Damage has been negligible.
* One theft, by a patron who is known to us, moved out of the region, and has no resources to pay. One accidental damage incident (broken screen when child slammed it down.) Paid as agreed. We now take the Dell Complete Care program that will repair any damages.
* Out of 400 over a two year period only one was stolen.
* Laptops get dropped, this is a fact of life. If the laptop still works, no problem; if not, repair or replacement costs are assessed (we have the three year limited replacement thingy with Dell, usually the repair/replacement is covered under the warranty) Haven't had any "take a walk" (fingers crossed).
* None in the nearly one year we have been running the program.
* None stolen--Only minor incidental damage--no major damage.
* So far no loss or damage. We've only been doing this for the Teen Central Room and only since June 2006.
* No damage, no theft. We have been doing this for several years.
* Not much experience. Everything is pretty smooth.
* None at this time.

Please describe your experience regarding demand for borrowing laptops:  small, medium, or high demand.

Below are representative quotes from the responses to this question:

* High - they are popular.
* High demand.
* They have been incredibly useful in meeting the demand for computers in our facilities - especially smaller buildings where we simply cannot squeeze in another terminal. We plan to have 5 -10 laptops at every location.
* Very high demand.  Our biggest problem with lending laptops for in-library use has always been "cleaning" them before their next checkout. Even when we have Window Washer or some such software on them, there are always problems. They also frequently need technical attention because they suddenly won't connect to the Internet, won't print, etc.
* Has been relatively high -- circulation rate at more than 80% of maximum potential. Need to have a rigorous procedure for restoring laptop when it is returned, and for checking to see if damaged. Be aware of serial borrowers who are using you as a substitute for getting their own.
* We've had the occasional question over the years, but as we have numerous public PCs for patrons to use, it is a rare question. Usually a student who has such a program at their university library, or has heard of one.
* Branches are asking for more laptops to meet demand.
* Within an hour or two of opening, we usually have half or more laptops checked out (so call it high demand).  Patrons love the laptop lending, many would like to be able to take them out of the building.
* High Demand. We plan on increasing the numbers we have to loan.
* High demand.  Patrons love them--IT dept. does not. Batteries need to be replaced periodically--lose ability to hold charge.
* Laptop demand has been incredibly high and very, very successful. When students are not in school, it's extremely rare for all laptops to not be in use. We often run a short waiting list. Teens prefer the laptops because of the flexibility - also laptops are more powerful computers and teens generally prefer.
* Medium... It's been successful. We also use laptops to teach classes.
* Usually, high demand, but I am talking from academic library, not public.
* Extremely high, especially during midterms and finals - averaging about 200 checkouts a day. About 5,000 checkouts a month when school is in session.

P. Michael McCulley *posted from his personal account*
mailto:drweb at san.rr.com
San Diego, CA
http://drweb.typepad.com/