[Web4lib] Conversion between ISBN-10 and ISBN-13

Rick Mason rcmason at rsproductions.net
Sat Sep 30 12:34:31 EDT 2006

Hi David,

According to the Wikipedia entry (i.e. don't start coding until you have
confirmed the information elsewhere), the first three digits are a, EAN
County Code for an imaginary country called "Bookland".  There are two
codes for Bookland:  978 for existing ISBN codes (you can safely assume
that the last 10 digits are an existing ISBN-10 and can be handled as
such), and 979 for pure ISBN-13 codes.

It probably isn't a good idea to convert 979 codes to 10-digit ISBN
systems because a) they use different check-digit calculations, and b)
the final ten digits of an ISBN-13 can't be converted back into a valid
ISBN-13 unless you somehow note that it needs the 979 appended.

Sites:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isbn
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bookland_%28imaginary_place%29
http://www.gs1.org/

Hope this helps!  Good luck, if you decide to code it yourself!

Rick Mason