[Web4lib] Resources for learning MySQL

Keith D. Engwall kengwall at catawba.edu
Tue Sep 26 15:01:42 EDT 2006

While I cannot speak from experience with the Third Edition, I found the First Edition to be that rare combination of a very good beginner's book and an outstanding reference.  It covers the basics of database creation, modification, and querying, as well as administrative topics such as creating and granting rights to users and backing up your database.  It also contains an excellent alphabetical command reference.  Paul Dubois writes in a very clear style, and the information is very well organized.

I would also echo an earlier post that you should also familiarize yourself with online resources, particularly in terms of installation.  No book is going to provide you with the level of currency, detail and specificity that you will find online.  Also, the online documentation at mysql.com is very good, and has been abundantly annotated with comments (from which I have gleaned useful information on several occasions).

And I'd have to echo another earlier post that you should seriously consider educating yourself at a broader level.  Resources at the MySQL level will tell you how to do things, but not so much how to do them well.  I would have to defer to others to make recommendations in this area.

Keith