[Web4lib] Resources for learning MySQL

Conal Tuohy Conal.Tuohy at vuw.ac.nz
Mon Sep 25 18:46:15 EDT 2006

Francis Kayiwa wrote:

> If I were to do it over again rather than focusing on learning MySQL
> I would say try and master Structured Query Language (the SQL of
> MySQL) that way you will pick your database based on your projects
> database expectations.
>
> There are times when MySQL is fantastic, but I also have projects
> where it simply wouldn't do. YMMV

I second that!

Melissa, if it is the case that you're new to SQL (which you didn't say)
then I do recommend you learn it from a "SQL" resource rather than a
"MySQL" resource, i.e. learn the SQL language, and learn the MySQL
software application as a distinct thing.

I am not a MySQL user, but I understand that MySQL is a (partial)
implementation of the SQL standard, and by first learning the standard,
rather than MySQL's variant, you will avoid some pitfalls. The same
applies to learning the "MS-Access"-flavour of SQL. You may find there
are some cool SQL features which are not supported in MySQL, but this
isn't such a hassle. What would be worse is learning the MySQL variant
primarily, and then (inadvertently) writing a system which relies on
non-standard features of MySQL, because this would tie you to the MySQL
platform. Whereas if you stick to standard SQL features, then you'd
retain the ability to deploy your application on other RDBMS than just
MySQL, and in general you'd be better able to pick an appropriate SQL db
for the job, as Francis pointed out.

Con
--
Conal Tuohy