[Web4lib] Library Facebook profile shut down

Richard Wiggins richard.wiggins at gmail.com
Fri Sep 22 16:47:14 EDT 2006

Hmmm.   Facebook's business model is to stir up interest among young people,
the demographic that advertisers covet the most -- and the one that is
tuning out of older media such as magazines, newspapers, etc.  This NPR
story explains why Yahoo wants to spend $1 billion to buy Facebook:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=6117548

Without getting into the details of the terms of service, and with all due
respect, it seems to me that if Facebook says that the items to be profiled
on their service are to be human beings and only human beings, then it
clutters their space to use it to profile other kinds of things, whether
butterflies, jet planes, or libraries.  And there are plenty of Web
publishing and social networking alternatives.

/rich