[Web4lib] Google Public Service Search

steven turner steven.turner at usm.edu
Fri Sep 15 16:59:54 EDT 2006

Yes, we used Google search service for around a semester. We quickly
found that Google-cached items stuck around a longer than we liked
(in the search results), the stats were too minimal, and there was
absolutley no support from Google - not even cursory, good-for-PR
type of support  that gets back to you in week when they have time -
there was just a black hole in terms of anwers to any kind of
question ever; plus, becasue of the caching issues, updates to our
site would go unoticed for months. The whole deal left a bad tast in
our mouths, and we switched to pico search, a fairly inexpensive
hosted search appliance that fulfilled our needs quite handily. Great
stats, and tons of configurable options.

Steve Turner