[Web4lib] anti-spam email adress

Casey Durfee Casey.Durfee at spl.org
Wed Sep 13 14:33:02 EDT 2006

You can do it with javascript --

document.write("<a hre" + "f='mai" + "lto:casey.durfee" + "@" +
"spl.or" + "g'>");

That's not going to catch the attention of most bots because they're
looking for "mailto" or "___ at __.__" type strings on the page.

You can also have the email address as an image generated dynamically
by the GD library or similar.

>>> "Pierre Nault" <pierrenault at gmail.com> 9/13/2006 11:08 AM >>>
Hi,

    Me and my colleagues put our email adress on our website library
and we
receive lots of spam. One of the reason for that is because the
indexing-robots are searching the sign "@" on web pages and with
regular
expressions, constituing a database.  We are using the mailto attribute
in
the web pages, and we have also our email adress in a database, so
there is
an ASP page for that (generating HTML). I "encrypted" my email adress
in
hexadecimal, with % signs trying to find a solution. When I mouse over
the
link in Internet Explorer I can see the encryption (on the lower bar of
the
navigator), but with Firefox, I can see clearly my email adress... and
that
maid me think that if Firefox can see that, there may be some
indexing-robots that have that capabality.
So is there a way to put an email adress on a web site without being
spam ?
Do the indexing-robot can find email adress on an ASP page (dynamic
instead
of static HTML). At last, do we have to put just our names on the web
pages
and tell our patrons to complete themselves our email adress ?

Pierre Nault
Bibliothécaire de référence (Sociologie // Science, technologie et
société)
Bibliothèque centrale de l'UQAM