[Web4lib] Library Web site redesign

Tyson Tate tysontate at gmail.com
Mon Sep 11 14:42:59 EDT 2006

Just because it *can* be resized doesn't mean that the users know how,
unfortunately.

I'm amazed at how many people with poor eyesight still don't know how
to resize text in their browser. You should either include a few icons
(many magazine and newspaper sites do this) that change the base font
size percentage or make your text larger by default.

Example: http://wired.com/ (upper right corner)

And, for what it's worth, I feel the type is too small and the
line-heights not loose enough in your design. It feels a bit cramped.
Opening it up a little will improve readability immensely.

One way to test type settings is you draw up your CSS and then apply
it to a super-long piece of text (a book from the Gutenberg Project,
perhaps) and sit down and read it for 10 or 15 minutes. If you start
getting annoyed, you'll probably want to tweak the settings for better
readability.

Some good starting points:

http://www.sitepoint.com/article/anatomy-web-fonts
http://webtypography.net/toc