[Web4lib] Library Web site redesign

Araby Y Greene araby at unr.edu
Mon Sep 11 10:21:33 EDT 2006

You've got a very nice start on a solid design for your users. That's evident with a cursory look. It's clear that you're still working on the top section, and I'm assuming that validation to standards will be addressed before rollout, but overall, it's light years ahead of the city design.

Your redesign is easier to "understand" at first glance than the city's. Blocks of subtle color help the visitor make sense of the the page. You've avoided "too much information" by making task information easy to find and have carried it consistently throughout the site.

Information for your audience is or oganized at the top, where KIDS, TEENS, RESEARCHERS, etc., can find it immediately. Obviously, you know more about how your audience uses the site than the city's IT dept (do any of them actually use the library?). It's easy to navigate to detailed information. Unfortunately, the city has design has carried "everything looking the same" to a point where everything on the page itself looks the same, has equal emphasis, and takes a lot of scanning to figure out what's important.

Your design puts interesting stories in the top center of the page. The city design does not. People looking for jobs are motivated and will find it. The other 99.9% of visitors will be more interested in specifics about what's happening at the Library, not a vague "Hey, we have kids' programs." I think people love "Staff Picks" and book jackets, a keeper.

I do have one pet peeve, and that's fonts smaller than "small" for body text and links. "Fine print" is for contracts, not for public libraries that server many people of all ages. I would also suggest that you might more use of "Ask Now" if you move it closer to the top of the page.

I'm not sure if this message will appear properly in the list because I'm using a Web version of MS Exchange, which does not offer plain text as a message option.

Good luck,
-araby