[Web4lib] Posting Sponsorship Information on Library Websites

Reiten, Beth beth.reiten at okstate.edu
Wed Sep 6 09:19:24 EDT 2006

Jennifer -

I forwarded your question on to our Coordinator of Communications and Publications, and this was what she sent me in return:

*****
I don't believe we have an actual policy in place regarding this, but we have already gone down this path.

I can think of two instances when we provided sponsors with name, logo, and/or link on one of our webpages. The first time was for the sponsorship of one of our databases. The sponsor's name and logo appeared on a splash screen of sorts, with wording to the effect "This Year's Subscription to Database X is Sponsored by SPONSOR LOGO." Users would see this screen as they entered the database. When the donor chose to sponsor a different project, the splash screen was removed.

The second instance was for the sponsorship of our annual fundraising dinner. As stated in the sponsorship agreement, our sponsor's name, logo, and a link to their website was placed on the event's webpage. This was just one of many ways the sponsor was recognized. Their name and logo was place on every single piece of publicity produced after the sponsorship was received.

In both cases, this level of recognition was provided for $10,000 gifts, they were corporate sponsorships of specific projects, and the web placement was outlined in the sponsorship contract.

Online donor recognition is something you'll want to think through. I believe we checked with our University legal council before offering online links. It is also something I don't feel should be offered to everyone. In our case both were significant sponsorships. I do not feel this constitutes "selling out" though. Donor recognition and stewardship are two important steps in the fundraising process. No one would question the placement of name plaques in your building. As long as online recognition is done sparingly and when appropriate, I see no difference.

Bonnie Ann Cain
Coordinator, Communications and Publications
*****

While YMMV since we're different types of institutions, I hope you can find something useful in here!

*Please note my new email address*
Beth Reiten, Assoc. Professor & Librarian
Digital Library Services
Edmon Low Library
Oklahoma State University
Phone: 405-744-9109