[Web4lib] Google Allows Downloads of out-of-copyright Books

Binkley, Peter Peter.Binkley at ualberta.ca
Tue Sep 5 11:54:48 EDT 2006

Projekt Runeberg in Sweden has been taking this approach for years now,
with an impressively simple setup. A sample page:
http://runeberg.org/svedelif/0126.html . Page image at the top, raw OCR
text at the bottom, click a link to edit the text in a simple in-browser
editor. If the page has been proof-read before, there's a wiki-style
history page (e.g.
http://runeberg.org/rc.pl?action=history&src=svedelif/0003 ). I'd love
to try something like this with our projects; talk about engaging users
and building community! The problem would be to maintain the more
complex underlying text structure, which assigns a page position to each
word (so that the search term can be highlighted in the retrieved page
image, as Google does). You can't just put up text and let someone edit
it, you have to have a system that keeps track of each word. It
certainly could be done but we haven't tried to build it yet. (And then
of course all the usual issues around monitoring and vetting
user-submitted content.)

Peter

Peter Binkley
Digital Initiatives Technology Librarian
Information Technology Services
4-30 Cameron Library
University of Alberta Libraries
Edmonton, Alberta