[Web4lib] CMS or something else?

John Fereira jaf30 at cornell.edu
Fri Sep 1 19:40:07 EDT 2006

At 05:04 PM 9/1/2006, Tyson Tate wrote:
>On 9/1/06, Deborah Kaplan <dkaplan at brandeis.edu> wrote:
>
>>A good CMS has certain content editors who don't markup
>>*anything*.  You provide the markup, they provide the content.
>
>I'm a little uncertain of what you mean by this. Do you mean that
>there are WYSIWYG editors that are text-only (i.e. no markup) which
>then require someone to add the HTML (i.e. the markup)?

Not necessarily.  For example,  TinyMCE allows you to configure it
such that markup styles are explicitly defined.  It may come with a
default set up buttons that allow the content provider to apply
markup to the content.  All of those buttons can be turned off or
reconfigured.  On one site I've worked on I essentially removed the
ability to apply html markup and hooked in a CSS stylesheet which is
accessible via a select list.  So the process would go like this:

The content provide either writes verbiage directly into the text
window or creates it using a separate application (i.e. wordpad) and
the does a cut-n-paste.  He/She then highlights sections of text and
selects a formatting style from a dropdown select list (for example,
"Title", "Section", "Subsection") and applies the formatting or
markup to the selected text.  When the user hits "Save" it
automatically goes into the publishing workflow.  The content
provider can't provide any markup that hasn't be configured into the
rich text editor.

John Fereira
jaf30 at cornell.edu
Ithaca, NY