[Web4lib] Valid substitute for body onLoad()

Robert Sullivan robert.g.sullivan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 08:28:19 EST 2006

Thomas Dowling wrote:

> What won't validate about onLoad?  (Unless you're using XHTML, in case
> in needs to be "onload".)

Ouch.  I am using strict XHTML and tried the script name in lower case
but forgot the onLoad function,  so it does validate when I change
that.

This seems to either work or degrade gracefully to a list in
everything I have tried so far (assorted Windows browsers, WebTV
emulator, Safari, Lynx), but is it better to call the Javascript with
something like the Willison method mentioned by Tom Keays?

Regarding the concerns raised by Dan Scott, I think having display set
to block fixes the issue of where to put your mouse...?  I hadn't
thought about what happens on an 800 x 600 display or lower, so I will
test that.

Thanks to all for your comments; this has been most enlightening.
I've looked at a lot of these menus and even the ones which look
pretty nice (e.g., the Suckerfish example) seem to have some
compatibility problems, so I was hopeful that this elegant
projectseven setup was going to be the answer.

--
Bob Sullivan
Schenectady Digital History Archive