[Web4lib] Wikipedia in Chronicle of Higher Education

lars lars at aronsson.se
Mon Oct 23 23:59:57 EDT 2006

B.G. Sloan wrote:

>   Can Wikipedia Ever Make the Grade? Volume 53, Issue 10, Page A31.
>   http://chronicle.com/free/v53/i10/10a03101.htm

In that article, former ALA president Michael Gorman is quoted to
have said: "The problem with an online encyclopedia created by
anybody is that you have no idea whether you are reading an
established person in the field or someone with an ax to grind".

I'd say, if editors were required to be academics, we'd be more
certain they had an ax to grind.  I don't see how such a
requirement on its own would solve any problems.  Perhaps Larry
Sanger's new project will show us, but I'm not betting on it.

Later in the same article, however, history professor Roy
Rosenzweig "notes, amusedly, that several Wikipedians appear to
have since read his critiques and edited a number of articles in
response to his concerns."

This is where the academics fit in: reading Wikipedia and pointing
out the errors, but not necessarily in writing the text to begin
with.  If professors find their Wikipedia edits are reverted,
perhaps some scholarly journal could devote a column to "this
month's errors in Wikipedia", from where experienced wikipedians
could source corrections.  Reporting an error is a contribution,
even if it isn't edited right into the text at Wikipedia.org.

Is this what the Chronicle wants to start here and now?  If so, I
hope future columns will find contributors who are educated beyond
the level where they are surprised that they can edit Wikipedia or
that articles contain many links.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)