[Web4lib] Another CMS question

Thomas Bennett bennetttm at appstate.edu
Tue Oct 17 08:29:17 EDT 2006

To use Plone you would have to convert the ASP pages to Zope Page Template
syntax for use with database access, although you could probably still use
your Access Database with a Zope ODBC database adapter which I understand is
cheap and worth the money if you go that route with mxodbc by egenix.  The
structure of a Plone site (look and feel) is completely controled by CSS and
there is easy access to those CSS pages to allow you to customize them for
your own look and feel.

On the other hand, I did a quick google on 'ASP pages to Plone' and found
ASPBite a content management system for IIS.

http://www.aspbite.com/aspbite/categories/index.asp

From their site:
"ASPBite is a FREE comprehensive, modular ASP application which deals with
memberships, categories (content management), news, articles, uploads,
downloads etc. Its easy to use and highly rated. With basic IT knowhow you
can have a very capable website in minutes!"
        June 2004 Coverdisc,
        supporting a 5 page featured masterclass on ASPBite v7.

You may want to look at that for IIS CMS, I don't know anything about just saw
it from google.

From the results of that same search I also found from the SourceForge Email
Archive: plone-users:
"Running asp side by side is possible, using a transparent redirect such as
Apache, pound (I think), or Enfold"s proxy product
(http://www.enfoldsystems.com/Products/EEP/Features). You could also redirect
with simple links from one server to the other, using similar URLs (www1 and
www2 for example).

 I am using Enfold"s version of plone (Enfold Enterprise Server), which has
been packaged nicely and integrated with Windows, primarily to ensure support
exists for our Intranet in case I am hit by a bus (I am in a nearly all
windows shop), but also because they have done some integration work that I
value. It may be of value to you as well."

This may be useful if you don't need all ASP pages controlled by a CMS.

Thomas

On Monday 16 October 2006 22:38, Knight-Davis, Stacey L. wrote:
> I followed the CMS thread with great interest and read more about the
> products that were recommended.  However, I'm still not sure which
> option is best for my situation.
>
> I'm getting ready to spend a lot of time converting about 200 pages in
> our library's website from a table and image map layout to CSS.  When I
> am done, 8 other librarians and staff  will be able to edit these pages
> and I don't want the pages inadvertently covered in <font> tags or
> trashed by Word when someone else updates a page.  Everyone editing
> knows basic HTML, but there are only 2 people with CSS experience.  I
> don't want to control the content so much as make sure no one is messing
> up the code.  This is the only site I manage, and another librarian is
> the admin for the library web server.
>
> Because of the number of pages involved, and the number of people
> editing the site,  I am thinking about a CMS.  However, I after reading
> through the documentation for several products, I don't know it there is
> anything free/cheap that will work.  We are running IIS on Windows 2000
> Server and have a large number of ASP pages.  All of our electronic
> resources listings, resource guides, and web resources pages run off of
> Access databases on ASP pages.  The home page is also ASP.  We have a
> few FileMaker Pro databases running various local indexes and services.
> Everyone is very happy with the ASP pages and we don't want to change
> them, and no one wants to switch the FileMaker stuff to another system
> either.
>
> So, I think I'm asking:
>
> 1.  Is there a cheap CMS that will let us keep Access and ASP and run on
> Windows 2000?  It looked like Plone would run on Windows, but I couldn't
> determine what would have to be done with the ASP pages.
>
> 2.  If there is no cheap CMS solution, what are the recommendations for
> web editors that are easy to learn and will make working with a style
> sheet easy?  We have several copies of Dreamweaver available, but I
> haven't had much luck getting people to use it.  TinyMCE was
> interesting, but I don't really need a web-based application if all I'm
> getting is an editor.
>
> Any recommendations or advice would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Stacey Knight-Davis
> Booth Library
> Eastern Illinois University
> http://www.library.eiu.edu
> slknight at eiu.edu
>
> 600 Lincoln Ave.
> Charleston, IL  61920-3099
> 217-581-7549

Thomas McMillan Grant Bennett		Appalachian State University
Computer Consultant III			P O Box 32026
University Library				Boone, North Carolina 28608
(828) 262 6587

An important measure of effort in coding is the frequency with which you write
something that doesn't actually match your mental representation of the
problem, and have to backtrack on realizing that what you just typed won't
actually tell the language to do what you're thinking. -Eric Raymond

Library Systems Help Desk: http://linux.library.appstate.edu/help