[Web4lib] wikis in libraries

Gimon, Charles A CAGimon at mplib.org
Mon Oct 16 13:20:21 EDT 2006

Heh. When Joan Didion gets hired here and writes a new Circ Manual, I'll
take those words to heart!

--Charles "UTF-8" Gimon
  Web Coordinator
  Minneapolis Public Library

>> Of course, the irony is that the "handrails" in question are probably

>> going to be used to bold, italicize, underline, and do a variety of
>> chrome and fancy formatting that isn't really necessary.

> You know, you really need to speak to Joan Didion, because I just
plucked "The White Album" off my bookshelf and flipped > through it.
It's rife with italics, and those chapter headings are all different
sizes. There are times when I suspect
> her of inserting an additional space between paragraphs. If only she
knew how to write!

> In any event, if it's not necessary, then don't use it, but there's
nothing heroic about life in the lower registers of
> the character sets, nor is there anything wrong with merging the
visual with the textual. Just ask George Herbert (or