[Web4lib] wikis in libraries

Leo Robert Klein leo at leoklein.com
Mon Oct 16 12:49:14 EDT 2006

Lars Aronsson wrote:
> Linda_M.Schwartz at lvh.com wrote:
>
>> Check out SeedWiki -- www.seedwiki.com for a WYSIWYG wiki that
>> uses the familiar word processing icons instead of having to
>> learn any coding at all.
>
> The frequency of this argument is a sadness.  It's like mounting
> handrails 2 ft above the floor everywhere, because toddlers who
> are just learning to walk would find that helpful.  Well, the rest
> of us wouldn't, and we honestly hope (but perhaps in vain) that
> the toddlers will soon reach a higher level.
>
> So are wikis (apart from Wikipedia) ever going to grow beyond the
> toddler stage?  When can we finally start to discuss how to
> achieve efficient group communication?  Or will we for ever be
> held hostage by newcomers who are stumbling on their own feet?

I'm probably misunderstanding the issue -- wouldn't be the first time --
but I think the lesson is, don't make the price of using a system having
to learn code.

I mean, what's so exceptional about a Wiki that you should have to learn
code for it one way or the other?

LEO

Leo Robert Klein
www.leoklein.com