[Web4lib] test ideas for web job candidates

Eric Hellman eric at openly.com
Sat Oct 14 02:11:13 EDT 2006

When I hire people to do programming I look for an aesthetic sense
and for pride of craftsmanship. I don't give people stupid tests, I
look at things they've done and want to show me. I avoid candidates
with resumes full of lists of technologies, I look for people who are
engrossed in problems and their solutions.

Also, don't forget to consider training of pre-programmer library
staff as an alternative. One of the favorite sayings of my freshman
year computer science professor was that it was easier to teach a
______ programming than it was to teach a programmer ________.
Although you probably know a lot of librarians who could never do
programming, there are as many programmers who could never be
librarians.

Good luck!

Eric
--

Eric Hellman, Director                            OCLC Openly
Informatics Division