[Web4lib] policies for blogs

Sue Baldwin sbaldwin at nngov.com
Fri Oct 13 11:34:49 EDT 2006

Hi,

I have received a few responses so far to my question about blogging
policies. I was hoping for more. Does this mean most libraries don't have a
written policy?? The responses I have received so far are below. I am still
looking for more if anyone has a written policy. Thanks for the responses so
far:

1. Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County

Below are the guidelines we developed for our blog
http://www2.cincinnatilibrary.org/blog/. They may too general for your
purposes but they've served us well thus far.

--Sandy Bolek
Website Coordinator, Public Library of Cincinnati and Hamilton County

********************************
Comment Guidelines

We encourage you to comment on our posts. However, comments are moderated
and will not appear in Turning the Page until they have been reviewed.  No
spam, flaming, personal attacks, profane language, or off-topic comments.
We reserve the right to edit or delete comments that violate these
guidelines.

2. IBM Company Blogging Policy

http://www-03.ibm.com/developerworks/blogs/page/jasnell?entry=blogging_ibm

3. Memphis Library

http://memphisreads.blogspot.com/2006/03/blog-guidelines.html

4. Internal policy for UWM (?)

"What's New @ UWM Libraries" welcomes posts from any library department.

General posting guidelines:

* Announcements should be of interest to a significant portion of library
users.
* Keep postings simple. Link to a more detailed announcement page if
necessary. Try to keep postings under 50 words.
* Journalistic blog posts tend to have a more informal/conversational style
than formal or academic writing.  Try to use active verbs, avoid jargon,
etc..
* Since you will be posting directly to the website, remember to check
spelling and grammar before publishing a post.

Sue Baldwin
Senior Librarian, Technology & Electronic Access
Newport News Public Library System
700 Town Center Drive Suite 300
Newport News, VA 23606
757-926-1350 voice