[Web4lib] WebJunction design refresh: what we're learning

Anderson,Joe andersoj at oclc.org
Thu Oct 5 13:07:56 EDT 2006

Hi folks,

WebJunction is in the midst of a design refresh project, and there are
several aspects of it that may be of interest to this list.

- We have been conducting a virtual card sort over the past several
weeks--with more than 220 responses, this has been a fantastic way to
think through our content set with our constituents (details are here
http://blog.webjunctionworks.org/?p=277 and results  are here:
http://blog.webjunctionworks.org/?p=284).  This process has resulted in
us feeling very confident and connected with users about the changes we
need to make to our content structure.

- We are fortunate to be able to work with an excellent web design
partner, ForumOne Communications.  While this approach is not for
everyone, from a site design perspective it has been incredibly helpful
to have a third party involved to move the process forward and keep all
of our (many!) cats well herded.  We realize our situation is not a
typical library web site situation, but perhaps there is a helpful best
practice in there somewhere.

- Finally, since there are, we hope, many present and future WebJunction
users on this list, we'd love to get any thoughts you have about our
design priorities, which are posted on BlogJunction
(http://blog.webjunctionworks.org/?p=282) and reproduced below.  You can
mail us directly at content at webjunction.org, or comment on the blog
post.

WJ Design Refresh Priorities and Strategy

1. Enhance the usability of WebJunction.org
    * Update site taxonomy (based on the card sort, of course!)
    * Update graphical presentation
    * Address audience issues (that is: we address a number of distinct
but overlapping audiences: we need to create audience-specific entry
pages and simplify the user experience for everyone)
    * Improve discovery (how could we be an OCLC project and not
"improve discovery" ;-) ?) What ForumOne specifically recommends is: (1)
Adding a facility for "key resources" (2) Increased usage of "related
resources" (3) Better prominence and access to search functionality.

2. Better align the site with WJ's mission
    * More effectively feature eLearning and community content on the
home page.
    * Highlight key partners (state library associations and others) on
the home page.
    * Improve traffic by enhanced synergy with the WJ newsletter.

3. Maintain and enhance the sense of community at WJ
    * Homepage message: make it clearer who we are and what we do.
    * Homepage interactivity: feature more dynamic and interactive
content.
    * Liveliness and attitude: emphasize the spirit of the community,
including interactivity, creativity and whimsy.

Thanks,

Joe Anderson
Content Manager, WebJunction.org