[Web4lib] Conversion between ISBN-10 and ISBN-13

Paul F. Schaffner pfs at umich.edu
Wed Oct 4 10:07:32 EDT 2006

On Tue, 3 Oct 2006, Spam wrote:

> Is anyone from OCLC on this list who can respond to this about OCLC's
> plans for ISBN conversion.  Perhaps this is in the works and I just
> don't know about it.

OCLC promises both a one-time conversion of ISBN10 to ISBN13 (adding
a 13 for every 10 in the record, if it does not already have one),
and an ongoing automatic creation of ISBN13s when a record with a 10
but no 13 is added, updated or replaced. See
http://www.oclc.org/support/documentation/worldcat/tb/253/

pfs