[Web4lib] Need efficient way to post "library closing" message

Thomas Dowling tdowling at ohiolink.edu
Thu Nov 30 12:33:48 EST 2006

On 11/30/2006 12:05 PM, Kathy Gaynor wrote:

> I'm wondering if there are other more efficient ways to handle this other
> than manually adding the message to each page and deleting it after we come
> back to school in January.  We recently revised our web site to be XHTML
> compliant and to use style sheets.

There are any number of ways to take a common block of text and include
it on multiple pages from the server's side of things.  Not
surprisingly, one of the basic approaches is called Server-Side Includes
(SSI).  Others use various server-side scripting languages: PHP, Cold
Fusion, etc.  Still others work through authoring tools--you change a
template within the authoring tool and re-upload all the affected files.

Without knowing more about your server setup, it's hard to get specific,
so you may want to start by asking your web admin what your options are.
 It looks like your main pages are static HTML, which likely means that
SSI is your best bet, but that may require some Apache reconfiguration.

--
Thomas Dowling
tdowling at ohiolink.edu