[Web4lib] Need efficient way to post "library closing" message

Heather Ebey weblibrarian at sent.com
Thu Nov 30 12:32:20 EST 2006

Hi Kathy,

I would use a server-side include (SSI). For something common to each
page, such
as the footer, I use SSI files. My thought on this, since you need it
to appear at the top
of certain pages occasionally, is that I would create an external
file with the XHTML
content needed and then add the SSI line to the location you want the
content to
appear in each page. I think that if you put an empty file in place
when you don't
need content, that there will be no browser complaints. I have not
tried an empty
SSI file on all browsers, so I could be wrong.

Heather H. Ebey
Web Technologist
San Jose State University
http://slisweb.sjsu.edu/