[Web4lib] Joomla users?

Joe Hewitt mr.joe.hewitt at gmail.com
Tue Nov 28 17:35:31 EST 2006

Laurie,

Your reference to Joomla sent me running to the google to have a look. I
appears to be a variation of another open source CMS called Mambo that I
didn't have much luck with. In addition, its native database support is for
MySQL 4.1 which is a several versions away from the current 5.1 and that's
never a good sign.

As to Plone, I used to have a love affair with it. I runs on Zope with runs
on the Python language with runs on anything. What's not to like? I know
some Python and I really liked the modular ideas driving Zope development,
but using Plone was difficult. The learning curve is extremely high and
long. If you've got the time and energy, it might be worth the trip. If you
have deadlines to meet, you might want to look at something else.

One of the easiest open source CMS systems to setup is
Drupal<http://drupal.org>.
A guy named John Blyberg <http://www.blyberg.net/about/> used it to create
the library portal for Ann Arbor District Library <http://www.aadl.org/>.
Although he's something of a wizard, he wrote his own XML plugins, and he
did a mashup with his Innovative OPAC, his starting point was Drupal which
can be installed through your browser and uses PHP. If you want to have a
little fun, check some Drupal top sites <http://top.drupalsites.net/>. A
year ago, I was looking at a lot of open source CMS systems so my experience
is a little dated in this rapidly developing area, but Drupal was one of the
easiest system to work with and it had some, at the time, some unique RSS
features, too.

I'll stop rambling now. The Joomla site <http://www.joomla.org>looks cool.
It just might work for you!

Hope this helps you,