[Web4lib] From the Chronicle: Software to Skirt Web Censorship

Drew, Bill drewwe at MORRISVILLE.EDU
Mon Nov 27 13:31:54 EST 2006

 This looks very interesting to me and is a service anti-censorship
librarians could help provide to people where access to certain websites
is blocked.  I wonder if this could be used to bypass local censorship
software (commonly called 'filters' by those looking to police
everything people do). -- Bill Drew

The Chronicle: Wired Campus Blog <http://chronicle.com/wiredcampus/>
Education-technology news from around the Web

Software to Skirt Web Censorship
<http://chronicle.com/wiredcampus/article/1730/software-to-skirt-web-cen
sorship>

People in China, Cuba, Iran, and other countries where the government
censors what they see on the Internet could soon have access to a lot
more information. Citizen Lab, at the University of Toronto's Munk
Centre for International Studies, has announced that it will release
software <http://psiphon.civisec.org/>  on December 1 that allows people
in those countries to see blocked Web sites. The software, called
psiphon, allows someone in a country that doesn't censor the Internet to
send someone in a Web-censored country a URL that enables the recipient
to visit any Web site. --Andrea L. Foster