[Web4lib] The missing Google books

Crocker, Daniel crockerd at neco.edu
Fri Nov 17 12:45:55 EST 2006

Jim, That's an interesting theory, but doesn't hold true for more than
90% of the missing volumes affecting our collection. Most of the books
we were providing links to were single volume works.

What I've heard back from Google in response to my several inquiries has
mostly indicated that the problem wasn't understood - the first response
after the perfunctory "Thanks, we're looking into it" was about how to
read Google's books when the "Download full book" button isn't
available.

Interestingly, the one book that I thought wasn't affected, Howe's
Muscles of the Eye (
http://books.google.com/books?id=f3qRlNQhRSkC&printsec=toc ) is a
multivolume work, and volume 2 is now gone.

This means that every full title we'd established links to has
evaporated or half-evaporated. My enthusiasm for Google Books has done
much the same. If you're correct that it is the result of
over-aggressive database maintenance, perhaps this will be fixed at some
point.

Daniel Crocker
Electronic Resources Librarian
New England College of Optometry - Library
424 Beacon St.
Boston, MA 02115
crockerd at neco.edu
(617) 236-6269