[Web4lib] CSS Drop Down Menus

Junior Tidal JTidal at CityTech.Cuny.Edu
Fri Nov 17 11:23:40 EST 2006

I've been researching a javascript free workaround for IE, but to no
avail. It looks like I may have to compromise and use a CSS/javascript
hybrid.

thanks for your help, everyone!

Junior

Junior Tidal
Web Services and Multimedia Librarian
CUNY New York City College of Technology
300 Jay Street
Brooklyn, NY 11210
718.260.5481

>>> "Engwall, Keith D" <kengwall at catawba.edu> 11/17/2006 11:18:01 AM

Our site uses CSS Drop Down Menus.  They use a simple unordered list
and some CSS.  There is a tiny bit of javascript to compensate for IE
6's lack of support of :hover for list items, but that's it (I haven't
tested to see if it's fixed in IE7), and as far as I know, unless you
make things a heck of a lot more complicated one way or another, there's
really no good way around that.  On the Mozilla side it's completely
CSS-driven.

We based our dropdowns on the excellent article in A List Apart on
Horizontal Dropdowns:

http://www.alistapart.com/articles/horizdropdowns

(I had trouble getting into A List Apart today, so you might want to
google "A List Apart Dropdown" and read the cached version of the
article)

We made some modifications, which I document in our library blog
entry:

http://libweb.catawba.edu/blog/?p=10#more-10

I'm interested to see what others have to say on this, whether anyone
knows of a truly javascript-free solution for IE.

Keith

Keith Engwall
Head of Library Systems and Technology
Catawba College Library
kengwall at catawba.edu
http://www.lib.catawba.edu

It is not enough to do your best: you must know what to do, and THEN do
your best.
-- W. Edwards Deming