[Web4lib] Lobby Information flat-screen monitor

Phillip Whitford PWhitford at Braswell-Library.org
Tue Nov 14 12:15:27 EST 2006

We set one of those up early this year. We wall mounted a plasma screen
and connected a networked PC to it. The PC is located behind the wall in
a closet.  The 42" screen is a little above an adults eye level so it
isn't within reach of curious fingers. I access the PC remotely using
VNC to change the content.  We looked at a variety of equipment out
there from simple text displays units to dedicated units that could
handle graphics and other types of multimedia files. We decided on a
networked PC for the flexibility it offers.  We can run PowerPoint
shows, show media files, connect to web sites to promote them, our
catalog, data bases, whatever we can display on a PC. We installed a TV
card in the PC so we could even display a news or weather channel in
case of an emergency.

Our system doesn't update its content automatically but since it is just
a PC any number of our staff can change it if need be.  Plus staff can
create their own content. On those rare occasions when there isn't any
content to display we purchased one of those vivid looking aquarium
screen savers. The one we have allows us to insert our Library logo into
the "fish tank" which the fish swim around. Looks fantastic!

The display has been very popular. It certainly catches more eyes than
the standard posters and signs.

Phillip B. Whitford
Manager Information Technology
Braswell Memorial Library
Rocky Mount, NC 27804
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my organization.