[Web4lib] Authors name standardization. Your opinion?

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Tue Nov 14 10:29:38 EST 2006

Jakob Voss wrote:

> No. And you cannot get a full list of all LCCN records. And the info-URI
> pointless because there is no service that understands
> "info:lccn/n50035042". So it's totally useless and damages the
> reputation of the whole URI/info-URI system. There should be a policy
> that you only get a namespace if you provide your identifiers to the public.

I assume that what you mean by "provide your identifiers to the public"
is that you provide a resolution service. In the case of the LCCN it is
trivial to translate "info:lccn/n50035042" into an OpenURL. That is
actually more valuable than a single resolution service because the
end-user's context can be taken into account, and the resolution can
take place in a local catalog, a global catalog (WorldCat) or the
original source, the LC catalog. Resolution services are essential for
private identifiers (DOI, for example), but public identifiers (LCCN,
ISBN, even the OCLC number) have often been reused and repurposed, so a
single resolution service would not be appropriate. A "2.0" solution is
best.

kc

--
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net