[Web4lib] Authors name standardization. Your opinion?

Lars Aronsson lars at aronsson.se
Mon Nov 13 19:01:28 EST 2006

Karen Coyle wrote:

> In the U.S. we do have the authority records from Library of
> Congress, and each of those has an identifier. We haven't made
> use of it, at least not in a visible way, in our catalogs. In
> essence, the authoritative name is supposed to be an identifier,
> it just happens to be a textual one. Each authoritative entry in
> the file is unique.

Yes, this is the approach that Sweden's Royal Library also seems
to take.  I still like the German/Czech system better, especially
since ID numbers are stable across name changes and death years.
The LoC "Erskine, Ralph, 1914-" will soon have to be updated to
"Erskine, Ralph, 1914-2005".  And then, where is the stability in
names?

If I go to http://catalog.loc.gov/ or http://authorities.loc.gov/
and do a search for Karel Capek, the name I find with 279 titles
is "Čapek, Karel, 1890-1938", as distinguished from "Čapek,
Karel, 1930-" and other people.  The LCCN for the authority record
seems to be "n 50035042".  But is there any way I can make a web
link based on such a name?  I'm not a big fan of this web
interface.

--
  Lars Aronsson (lars at aronsson.se)