[Web4lib] Authors name standardization. Your opinion?

Karen Coyle kcoyle at kcoyle.net
Sun Nov 12 15:12:43 EST 2006

Matthias Steffens wrote:
> As a scientist and programmer of a bibliographic web application, I
> must admit that it's completely elusive to me why the big publishers
> (and/or libraries) have not pushed the development of a unique and
> universal author ID system until yet -- similar to what has been
> achieved with DOIs.(*)

An author ID would solve part of the problem -- that is, it could make
it explicit that author 1234567 wrote both article A and article P, at
least in a situation where the author ID was attached to both articles.
It doesn't solve the problem of moving from a human-readable (and often
ambiguous) citation like "JS Smith" to the ability to retrieve articles
by that precise author -- who could be John Stevens Smith or Jane Smiley
Smith, or any of a number of other individuals with that moniker.
Somehow we still have to get people from an individual non-unique name
to an author. This is in part an issue of legacy data, which does not
have unique IDs (and there's a lot of it). There's also an interesting
issue of assigning the IDs: who does it, what guarantees that they get
it right, etc.?

Although identifiers might be part of a solution, they rarely are the
solution itself.

kc

--
kcoyle at kcoyle.net http://www.kcoyle.net