[Web4lib] Google Allows Downloads of out-of-copyright Books

Crocker, Daniel crockerd at neco.edu
Thu Nov 2 10:33:09 EST 2006

 I've been a bit out of the loop, but has anyone else noticed a dramatic
loss of access to these texts? I'd been so pleased to announce to people
that a good portion of our fragile special collections material could be
read online, and today see no sign of the books in Google Book search.
Searches at books.google.com that once found several dozen texts now
find only a handful, even prior to limiting to full-view books. Our list
of 17 texts duplicated in our paper collection has been reduced to just
1.

I've sent Google essentially the same question, and will summarize any
reply I get - but have any of you any information about what's happened
to this service?

Much obliged,

Daniel Crocker
Electronic Resources Librarian
New England College of Optometry - Library
424 Beacon St.
Boston, MA 02115
crockerd at neco.edu