[Web4lib] Measuring RSS activity in Apache log files

Robert Menk bmenk at ll.mit.edu
Wed Nov 1 08:56:56 EST 2006

We have a number of in-house publications that are produced both as
static html and as xml for RSS readers. I'm trying to get a better
understanding of what the hits counts in my Apache logs really mean with
respect to the xml files.

Do RSS readers actually fetch the xml file repeatedly and thus show up
in the log with an "artificially" high hit count? Or do they just
compare the date & time stamp they currently have and only fetch the
file when they're out of synch? (I should probably clarify that these
particular rss feeds never output individual items incrementally, but
only get refreshed when an entirely new issue of the publication comes out).

Thanks in advance.

Bobb Menk
MIT Lincoln Laboratory Library