[Web4lib] Could library automation systems track evacuees

JOHN MARQUETTE JOHNMA at ci.commerce.ca.us
Wed May 31 12:58:19 EDT 2006

Message: 19
Date: Wed, 31 May 2006 09:05:19 -0500
From: Sunshine Jacinda Carter <scarter at d.umn.edu>
Subject: RE: [Web4lib] Could library automation systems track
	evacuees?
To: web4lib at webjunction.org

>An automated tracking system might be difficult to implement.

>As a former American Red Cross Disaster Associate, I know how
>unorganized a disaster situation can be.

>Never enough power, never enough computers, no access to internet, cell

>phones don't work or no power to charge cell phones, land lines don't
>work, no paper for printers...I can go on and on.

My thanks to Sunshine for a glimpse into how Red Cross handles
evacuations.  They have more experience than anyone, and nobody
questions their mission.

The comment made by Thomas Edelbute (Anaheim Public Library) about data
never getting entered into the appropriate web-based forms makes sense
if the building is flooded, or, as is more likely in our (also
California) case, is in structural jeopardy because of an earthquake.

Librarians outside the immediate radius of a disaster, especially if
they are in-state or in-consortium, are going to be a huge asset if we
get tapped.  Perhaps that's the reason to reach out to the Red Cross.

That said, the purpose of evacuation is to save lives, and (I hope) to
re-unite families.  If paper will do the trick, and it has in the past,
I'm all for it.  I remain convinced, however, that if not libraries,
then shipping companies such as UPS, FedEx, or DHL, should be offering
this as a gift to the nation in partnership with Red Cross and the
faith-based organizations.  Clearly FEMA is not capable of handling a
task like this.

John Marquette

I speak for myself, not my employer.