[Web4lib] Gracefully degrades to..?

Lynne Puckett lpuckett at billings.lib.mt.us
Wed May 24 15:25:28 EDT 2006

Jennifer Heise wrote:
> Can you recommend a good book on using CSS for positioning that DOES
> degrade
> gracefully? I've really avoided using CSS-based layout myself because I've
> seen it degrade horribly so many times, and I don't want to take a
> chance on
> my users seeing all the text piled on top of each other.

My favorite CSS book is: _Stylin' with CSS: a Designer's Guide_ by
Charles Wyke-Smith, New Riders, Berkeley CA, 2005, ISBN 0-321-30525-6

It's written for use with XHTML but so what? It works fine with plain
old HTML too, and it spells things out VERY clearly (which I need). I've
used several other books on CSS that I didn't really like - this one is
great.

Lynne
--
L. E. Puckett
Reference & Electronic Systems Librarian