[Web4lib] Gracefully degrades to..?

Jonathan Bloy JBloy at edgewood.edu
Wed May 24 13:58:02 EDT 2006

Roy Tennant wrote:
>I find it surprising to look at the calendar and note that
>we are well into 2006 and we have people advocating the use
>of tables for formatting non-tabular information. The use of
>tables for layout was a kludge to get around the lack of a
>real layout mechanism. CSS is that mechanism.

Well said Roy.

A properly designed website will be able to display in ANY browser.
Whether it supports CSS or not.  My strategy has been to use and @import
statement for the CSS, so those browsers like the ancient Netscape 4
don't see it, and display the perfectly useable unstyled markup.

> Jennifer Heise writes:
>> Can you recommend a good book on using CSS for positioning that DOES
>> degrade gracefully?

Jennifer, I would recommend Jeffrey Zeldman's "Designing with Web
Standards."  According to Amazon, there is a second edition coming out
in July.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0321385551/qid=1148491684/103-3421838-3
617416

--