[Web4lib] RE: Overdrive

Hankinson, Andrew HankiA at parl.gc.ca
Tue May 23 14:20:53 EDT 2006

Apple is reacting in a "once bitten, twice shy" way.  They DID actually
open up their Operating System to clone manufacturers at one point in
the 90's, and it almost killed the company.  From that, they realized
that they are a hardware company first, (read: first priority is selling
iPods) and the impetus for purchasing their hardware comes from making
good software (read: the whole iTunes system).

Unfortunately, we're in between two giants fighting it out.  Don't think
for a minute that, were the tables turned, Microsoft would be any more
benevolent.  Their current campaign of promoting "Plays-for-sure"
devices and WM DRM as more "open" than Apple's Fairplay is born from
realizing they are late to the game and need something to leverage
against the giant media economy the iPod/iTunes Music Store has
generated.  If the Napster or Urge services are to be taken as a model
for how Microsoft would play the game, we would actually see more
restriction in use - no burning audio cd's, subscriptions where, if you
forget to pay, you lose your music, etc. etc.  I am not promoting one
system or the other - I wish there were an open system where I could get
any media I wanted on my iPod - but I can understand the mindshare
battles that are going on between Cupertino and Redmond.

As it stands now, yes, it is highly unfortunate that Apple does not
allow 3rd-Parties to use their DRM system, but I think that is more a
reaction of a threat to their core hardware business rather than
anything malicious.  If they did open up Fairplay, someone would come
along and make a cheaper "iPod", use up Apple resources in the software
(iTunes / iTMS), and Apple would be facing the same situation they faced
in the 90's with the Clone makers - everyone uses their software, but
their system depends on them making money on the hardware.

The new reality of the popularity of the iPod as a ubiquitous media
player was something that nobody (not even Apple!) really saw coming.
(They've even integrated them with running shoes!!! -
http://www.apple.com/ipod/nike/) I'm therefore not surprised that they
seem to be taking the process of opening up to 3rd parties very slowly.