[Web4lib] Huge increase of Google database

Isidro F. Aguillo isidro at cindoc.csic.es
Fri May 19 04:13:47 EDT 2006

Google no longer provides in its homepage hints about the size of its
database. I read that even when they publish a figure over 8 billion the
number of webpages covered exceeded the 11 billion mark. In the last
months they appear to have changed their databases (something called Big
Daddy??) and now the results are significantly higher than before. I
noticed an increase of both "dead links" as well of "invisible web"
(records from databases) results.

 From previous estimates, the global size of the Web was around 20-24
billion webpages, but after making some experiments, our best estimate
for the current size of Google web database alone is close to 40
billion. Even considering "invisible" records I am wondering if Google
is really covering more than half or two thirds of the Web.

I would like to know about recent comments about the coverage ratio of
Google and other search engines and also any references to geographical
or language biases in the coverage of the engines.

Thanks in advance,

--
Isidro F. Aguillo
isidro at cindoc.csic.es