[Web4lib] managing files...

marc marc at indexdata.dk
Thu May 11 03:35:53 EDT 2006

Mark, you need a Source Code Versioning System to keep development, test
and production sites in sync with each other.

The sysadmin needs to open a port or two on the production server to let
the Versioning Clients get through.

On your own development machine, you will have a local web server, such
that you can see the intigridity of the changes before you upload to the
production server.

Any decent source code versioning system will do, commercial or Open
source. You just have to make sure that the clients run on the platforms
you need.

There are some comparison sites for Opensource Versioning Systems out there:

http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2004/01/29/scm_overview.html
(see the references on the bottom of this page)

http://better-scm.berlios.de/comparison/comparison.html

Browsing these places might get you an idea what you need.

Cheers, Marc Cromme, Index Data

Mark Gilman wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I maintain several different websites of varying size and complexity.  In
> the case of the largest one, with thousands of pages and files, I do not
> have FTP access and must rely on an intermediary.  I tend to work fast,
> squeezing web development in amongst many other duties, and I am forever
> being mildly upbraided about setting image paths to the wrong folder,
> sending copies of image files that are already on the server and that sort
> of thing.  I have
> Frontpage and various free code editors, but not, say, Dreamweaver.  Lately,
> I've imported the entire site onto my local drive, so that I'm working on a
> clone, but I still worry about getting out of synch with what's online, and
> it's a bit of a pain to keep saving the source from the server to the local
> verisimilitude of the site.
>
> Anyone know of a better solution that doesn't rely upon FTP access?  The
> most annoying situations are when I do something like alter an image and
> forget to tell the intermediaries that, although it has the same name, it is
> a new image and does need to overwrite the existing one.  None of this is
> rocket science if one is only doing a couple changes at a time, but there
> are days when I'm making dozens of changes.  I guess what I hope to find is
> some kind of tool that does a better job of highlighting dependencies
> between files, generating a change log or something along that line.  Were I
> more disciplined I could probably figure out how to do this better with the
> tools in hand.
>
> Regards,
> Mark

Marc Cromme, cand. polyt, Ph.D