[Web4lib] Re: iPod Libraries; Was: Bitten by the Portable Apps bug!

Michael McEvoy mmcevoy at northvillelibrary.org
Tue May 9 14:02:10 EDT 2006

While it may be true that massive amounts of text could be fit onto an
iPod, it would never happen because publishers don't WANT that to happen.

The publishers say "Free is bad, mm'kay?" Instead, if the full text of
Brothers Kazmarov would otherwise fit in a 5k file, let's plump the file
up to 9MB with Digital Rights Management. Why? Otherwise, you could share
said file with your friends quite easily, and the lawyers -> publishers ->
agents -> writer/artist would never get paid. Control is the name of the
game. Are they entitled to control? Sure, but technically, the cost of
that control is complexity and massive waste of storage space. Corporate
politics enter the equation too just to muck things up further (i.e. iPods
and Digital Audio services like NetLibrary).

In a "perfect" world for publihsers, we would all forget any form of media
we so consume (be it book, video, sound, or sensation) immediately upon
finishing it, because our memories act as "illegal recording devices".

All other forms of media otherwise are slave to the best possible
compression to quality ratio. Sound and video media are saddled with size
problems immediately, which are only increased by the monstrosity of DRM
that gets tagged onto any such media.

Is it technically possible to fit an entire library of books onto an iPod?
Sure. is it possible to fit all the videos, cd's, magazines, and
otherwise? Not in less than a nonabyte. What if we added DRM? Well...
you'd never get to use most of it because it would all expire before you
could use even a millionth of a percent of it.