[Web4lib] Libraries with accessible Web pages

Norman, Melora Melora.Norman at maine.gov
Thu Mar 2 16:24:18 EST 2006

Yes, but as I had a blind person point out to me last week, there are
varying degrees of access depending upon how up-to-date your software is and
how tech-savvy you are.

For instance, a not-so-tech-savvy blind or low-vision person who can't
afford the latest versions of JAWS and MS Office on an older computer who's
also on dial-up has a much different experience using technology than does
someone with all the latest and hottest software, hardware, broadband,
scanner, and who has taken computer classes.

Comparatively speaking we have pretty much the same digital divide going on
between people who are sighted--they are just less disadvantaged on the face
of it, as they don't have to buy $1,000 worth of screen readers and scanners
etc. in order to get access to what they need.  Training is another whole
huge issue, and pretty hard for a library to get a grip on.  I get fairly
frequent calls from people (either sighted or simply isolated--we serve more
than one kind of virtual population here) who obviously need tech help I
can't provide.  Sometimes the blind folk actually have better access to
resources through voc rehab than do some of the others.  And a blind person
in a metropolitan area might have affordable broadband, while an isolated
person in a rural area might very well not be able to take an online course
because all they can get or afford is dial-up.

Melora

Melora Ranney Norman, outreach coordinator
Maine State Library
LMA Cultural Bldg., SHS 64
Augusta, ME 04333
melora.norman at maine.gov